Sunday, July 10, 2011

7 Random Facts about my writing.

I've never gotten a blogging award. I don't really understand them, but I'm not going to lie, I felt a little honored to be the recipient of one from my friend, novelist Jeana Watters. I have been awarded "The Versatile Blogger" award. This award also comes with a rule that you have to write seven random facts. Since it's all about writing here, my seven facts are about my writing.


1. I once won a short story competition and was published in an anthology. The story was called "The Tattered Sandals" and was about domestic violence. I was 15 years old.


2. I have recently taken up poetry. I'm a lover of poetry but I would not consider myself a poet. I'm too maudlin. However, my little poems have brought me great joy over the past few weeks and I have no intention of stopping.


3. I am in the middle of two novels. One is a work of historical fiction and the other a mid-grade novel. I have been writing these books for two years.


4. Ever since I started writing seriously and studying the craft I can't read in the same way and I have lost a little bit of my ability to get lost in the story.


5. What I really want to be is an essayist, but feel terribly unequipped.


6. I have been paid to be a copy writer and a sports writer.


7. I listen to music when I write. It weaves itself silently into the subtext of my work. In fact, when I read my work I can hear the echoes of whatever I was listening to while writing. Is this some unique form of plagiarism? Can one plagiarise emotion?

P.S. I have to award someone else this. Like horrible chain mail that never ends (and yet again, oddly flattering). So I bestow that honor upon poet extrordinaire, Cami. Here's to you!

2 comments:

  1. Christie, that's so awesome! You're a wonderful writer and I love reading your stuff. I'm glad you liked the award (I know, it does feel like a chain letter, but a nice one--not in the you'll-die-poor-in-one-week-if-you-don't-send-this-to-100-people sort of way.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading this! You are a fabulous writer and I look forward to reading more of your work! I listen to music when I write too. It opens up the creativity.

    ReplyDelete